In order to assist with the addition of telehealth service codes for providers that wish to provide the newly approved services, we have updated our LA Services Pick List based on the information provided by LDH.
- Browse to Services Manager in ShareNote.com.
- Select the “View the Louisiana Services Pick List” button near the top.
- Check the box beside the service to select the desired telehealth service(s) that you wish to add.
- Click the “Add Selected Services” button to insert the selected services into your profile.
ShareNote will update your billing profile and submission of batch billing will be available following the ShareNote processes you normally use for billing.
*** This setup will allow you to document and bill via the system, however, reimbursement will depend on the MCO’s ability to add and process these new codes within their system. There may be a delay in payment that is outside the realm of our control. Please plan accordingly. ***
Recommendations from LDH
- Confidentiality still applies for services delivered through telemedicine/telehealth. The session must not be recorded without permission from the recipient or authorized representative.
- Develop a back-up plan (e.g., phone number where recipient can be reached) to restart the session or to reschedule it, in the event of technical problems.
- Develop a safety plan that includes at least one emergency contact and the closest emergency room (ER) location, in the event of a crisis.
- Verify recipient’s identity, if needed.
- Providers need the permission of the recipient and the recipient’s parent or legal guardian (and their contact information) prior to initiating a telemedicine/telehealth service with the recipient if the recipient is 18 years old or under.
- The recipient must be informed of all persons who will be present at each end of the transmission and the role of each person.
- Recipients may refuse services delivered through telehealth.
- It is important for the provider and the recipient to be in a quiet, private space that is free of distractions during the session.
Billing and Reimbursement
For these services, the providers must bill the procedure code (HCPCS codes) with modifier “95,” as well as Place of Service “02” when delivering the service through telemedicine/telehealth. Reimbursement for visits delivered via telemedicine/telehealth is similar to in-person visits, subject to any terms and conditions in provider contracts with Medicaid managed care entities. Reimbursement will be the same as the MHR community in- person rate.
Providers should contact their contracted MCO for information that may affect billing procedures and reimbursement rates.
Claims processing systems will be updated by March 27, 2020. Before that date, providers should continue to submit claims and they will be recycled with no action needed by the provider. A list of relevant procedure codes is included below. Providers must indicate place of service 02 and must append modifier 95 (ShareNote.com will automatically add the 95 modifier).